- SAP ABAP is used by developers to develop the SAP R3 Platform.
- It is a simple language that is easy to learn when it comes to programming.
- It allows you to choose from procedural and object-oriented programming.
- It also helps SAP customers to improve their SAP-based applications.
- It allows you to create custom reports and interfaces.
- ABAP language is quite easy for programmers. However, it is not a right tool that can be used by non-programmers.
History of SAP ABAP
- ABAP is a 4/GL( Fourth generation) language developed in the 1980s.
- ABAP becomes a language for developing a program for the client-server, which was first released in the year 1992.
- In the year 1999, SAP introduced an object-oriented extension known as ABAP Objects
- In 2006, 7.0 version released which offer switch framework feature
- In, 2012, The version released with Table expressions feature
- In 2015, with version 7.5 start supporting Open SQL expressions.
- With version 7.52 in 2017, virtual sorting of the internal table feature introduced.
Types of ABAP Programs
SAP ABAP program is either an executable unit or a library, which is a reusable code. However, it is not separately enforceable.
ABAP executable programs are divided into two types:
- Module pools
The Non-Executable Program types are:
- INCLUDE modules
- Subroutine pools
- Function groups
- Object classes
- Interfaces Type pools